Crisp and crunchy on the outside, tender and flavorful on the inside, these spicy air fried coconut shrimp are a surefire hit! They cook up in about ten minutes and pair well with a myriad of dipping sauces. To top it off, they’re low-carb and keto-friendly. For a special treat, try them out with my blackened ranch dressing. If you’re looking for another low-carb recipe that features shrimp, don’t forget to check out my keto friendly Creole Jambalaya.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This spicy coconut shrimp recipe is absolutely delicious. You bite into a crisp, crunchy layer of air fried coconut flakes to uncover an interior of tender, juicy, spicy, perfectly cooked shrimp. This recipe is perfect for a quick lunch or snack, but can be served over cauliflower fried rice to make it into more of a meal. You can also use this as the ultimate party appetizer. It’s great with cocktail sauce, ranch dressing, and a host of other dipping sauces, but can just as easily be eaten plain. It’s so good.
How To Make Air Fryer Spicy Coconut Shrimp | Keto, Low- Carb
This recipe is not difficult to make, but may require various levels of prep work depending on the type of shrimp you purchase. I start with raw shrimp that I clean, peel and devein, without removing the tail. You can buy shrimp that has already been deveined, but it’s more cost effective to do it yourself. Instead of throwing your shells away, you can save them to make a delicious homemade stock for chowders, soups, or sauces. If you forget to thaw your shrimp in advance, you can quickly do so by running them under cool water for a few minutes.
Once I’ve prepped my shrimp, I let them soak for a few minutes covered in coconut milk. During this time I also season them with:
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
I toss my shrimp in the milk and seasonings until they are well coated. This will enhance the coconut flavor and help ensure that the flour will stick to the shrimp in the next step.
I gently dredge each piece of shrimp in coconut flour that has also been well seasoned, shaking off any excess; look for a thin, even coating on both sides. Set aside when done.
Next, I whisk together an egg wash, and pour my unsweetened coconut flakes onto a flat surface or shallow dish. Then I dip the shrimp into the egg wash, shake of the excess, and dredge in the coconut flakes. I return the shrimp back to the egg wash, then dredge in the coconut flakes again for a double coating. I then spray then with a light coating of butter flavored cooking spray.
My next step is to spray the inside of my air fryer basket with cooking spray, and set it to 300 degrees. My air fryer is on the small side, so I have to fry my shrimp in batches. Be careful and ensure that you do not overcrowd your air frying basket.
I air fry my coconut shrimp for ten minutes, pausing halfway through the flip them. When they’re done, I remove them, plate, and garnish with a freshly chopped herb, preferably parsley.
After that, simply serve and enjoy. It doesn’t get any better!
As usual, try it out and let me know what you think!
Can’t make this right now? Save it to your favorite Pinterest board for later!
Crisp and crunchy on the outside, tender and flavorful on the inside, these spicy air fried coconut shrimp are a surefire hit! They cook up in about ten minutes and pair well with a myriad of dipping sauces. To top it off, they’re low-carb and keto-friendly.
- 1 pound Shrimp (raw, peeled, deveined, tail on)
- 7 fl. oz Coconut Milk, unsweetened
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt, divided
- 2 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, divided
- 4 tsp Smoked Paprika, divided
- 4 tsp Garlic Powder, divided
- 4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, divided
- 1 cup Coconut Flour
- 3 Large Eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Coconut Flakes, unsweetened
- Baking Spray, butter flavored
- Fresh Parsley , chopped (optional)
- Clean, peel, and devein shrimp. Place in a medium bowl.
- Cover shrimp in coconut milk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper. Toss until shrimp are well coated; allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut flour to a shallow dish. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper.
- Dredge each piece of shrimp in the coconut flour, shaking to remove any excess. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk 3 large eggs to create an egg wash.
- Add unsweetened coconut flakes to a shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of shrimp in the egg wash, shake to remove excess, then dredge in the coconut flakes. Return the shrimp to the egg wash once more, then dredge in coconut flakes again.
- Spray shrimp with butter flavored baking spray.
- Heat air fryer to 300 degrees
- Air fry the shrimp for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure even crisping.
- Remove and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with dipping sauce of choice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gProtein: 24g