These oven baked orange chicken wings are quick, easy, and most importantly delicious. Their sticky, tangy sweetness is perfectly balanced by the spice of crushed red pepper flakes and the entire recipe comes together in less than an hour. They’re oven baked, making them the perfect low-maintenance addition to your weeknight dinner menu. Try them out today! If you’re in the mood for more wings, check out my Air Fried Moroccan Spiced Chicken Wings.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
If you’re looking for a damn good chicken recipe that comes together in no time flat then look no further. You have arrived at the destination. These oven baked orange chicken wings are the stuff dreams are made of. They’re sweet, spicy, and cooked to perfection. And don’t go worrying about fooling around in the kitchen all day either because these are done in less than an hour. That’s quicker than you can open an app and wait for your favorite food delivery service. Let’s get into some details. More cost effective, too!
What Ingredients Will I Need?
- Orange Marmalade – for this recipe I use orange marmalade. Not jam. Not jelly. Marmalade. What’s the difference? Marmalade refers to a spread or preserve made specifically with citrus and usually includes the whole fruit. Since marmalade also includes the rind of the orange, I find that this reduces the need for added orange zest in the recipe. You can always taste your orange sauce to determine if you’d like to add additional orange rind/zest.
- Orange Juice – freshly squeezed. This recipe doesn’t call for much; just 2 tablespoons. I find that adding more makes it very difficult to get the sauce to thicken up the way I would like.
- Salt – just a bit of kosher salt. The hoisin also contains salt, so you may wish to add the salt last, after you’ve had a moment to taste your sauce.
- Hoisin – Hoisin sauce is one of those ingredients that I just like to have on hand at all times. It is dark in color, thick in consistency, and sweet, salty, & slightly spicy in taste. It packs a major umami punch in the best way. It is also inexpensive and easy to find in most supermarkets.
- Black Pepper
- Ginger Powder – I use just a ½ teaspoon of ginger powder. If you opt for grating fresh ginger, up the amount to about ½ tablespoon.
- Red Pepper Flakes – I use 3 teaspoons on red pepper flakes. When you’re adding it to the sauce, it’s going to look like a ton. Before you panic, just know that the marmalade is going to mute so much of the spice. You will find that the taste is much more balanced than you may initially believe it to be.
- Chicken – you can purchase whole wings and break them down if you choose, but I used 2 pounds of first and second wing portions. So, pre-cut drumettes and “flats.”
After the wings cook and cool for a few minutes I like to toss them in a bit of:
- Green Onion
- Sesame Seed
- Meat Thermometer
- Baking Sheet
- Silicon Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife
- Microplane – if you’re adding additional orange zest.
Buying Good Oranges
When shopping, you’ll want to avoid oranges that are overly discolored or squishy. We’re going for firm, ripe, oranges that appear even in color. I prefer to store my oranges on the counter at room temperature.
How Long Does the Chicken Take to Cook?
I cook these wings at 375° F for just 30 minutes. I use my meat thermometer to tell me when they’re done. Once they’ve reached an internal temperature of 165°F, they’re safe to eat. I try not to let them go beyond 175°F.
What to Serve with the Orange Chicken Wings
- Cauliflower Rice
- Seared Vegetables such as Broccolini or Bok Choy
- Lo Mein Noodles
Try it out and let me know what you think! When you make it, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram.
Cant make this right now? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board for later!
These oven baked orange chicken wings are quick, easy, and most importantly delicious. Their sticky, tangy sweetness is perfectly balanced by the spice of crushed red pepper flakes and the entire recipe comes together in less than an hour. They’re oven baked, making them the perfect low-maintenance addition to your weeknight dinner menu.
- 1 cup Orange Marmalade
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Hoisin Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons Ginger
- 3 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 pounds Chicken Wings - pre-cut first and second portions (also known as "drums" and "flats").
- Sesame Seeds
- Chopped Green Onion
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and whisk until well combined.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
To the mixing bowl containing the orange sauce, add the chicken and toss until each chicken piece is well coated.
Place the chicken on a lined baking sheet; spoon the excess sauce over the pieces.
Place chicken in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the wings reach an internal temperature of 165° F when using an instant read thermometer.
Note* Every few minutes, use a spoon or basting brush to collect excess sauce from the baking sheet and spoon/brush over the chicken.
Once the wings have been removed from the oven, continue to baste the chicken for 5 minutes or so as the sauce continues to thicken while cooling.
Toss chicken in sesame seeds and chopped green onions, as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 553Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 213mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 54g