Easy one pan meal: Oven baked Garlic & Herb Rainbow Trout with Shaved Brussels Sprouts. Low-Carb, keto-friendly, Whole30, paleo, and gluten free. This recipe is simple, easy, and delicious with minimal cleanup. It’s the perfect meal for seafood lovers and ready in less than 30 minutes! If you need other low-carb or keto-friendly one pan meals, try my one skillet sausage and radish wedges or sheet pan sausage, broccoli, and shrimp.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Who doesn’t love a good one-pan meal? They’re super easy and the cleanup is usually minimal. This oven baked garlic & herb rainbow trout is no different. But just because it’s a healthy one-pan meal does not mean it skips on flavor or satisfaction. The fish and the brussels sprouts are generously seasoned with fresh garlic, chopped rosemary and basil, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and of course a touch of salt and pepper. If you’re looking for deliciously clean eating, then this is one you don’t want to miss out on.
What Ingredients Do I Need for this Meal?
You’ll need the following to complete the dish:
- Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Ruby Red Rainbow Trout Filets
- Fresh Lemon Juice – one lemon’s worth
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Freshly Minced Garlic
- Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- Fresh Basil, chopped
How Many People Does This Dish Serve?
This dish will comfortably feed a family of four. When it comes time to serve, I cut each rainbow trout filet into two servings.
Do I Need Any Special Tools?
Nope, you do not need any kind of special tools or kitchen gadgets for this dish. All you need is a baking sheet and your oven.
How Many Carbs are in this Meal?
This meal contains just 8 net grams of carbs per serving making it perfect for a low-carb or ketogenic lifestyle. On top of that, it’s also Whole30 compliant, gluten-free and paleo!
What Does Rainbow Trout Taste Like?
To me, rainbow trout is very mild and nutty in taste and does not taste “fishy” at all. This makes it the perfect canvas for a variety of sauces, spices, seasonings, and herbs, but I like to keep things simple. It is flaky and tender in texture.
Why is it Called Rainbow Trout?
Rainbow trout get their name from the array of colors that can appear on their skin. The coloration of trout varies by species, location, and diet.
Is Rainbow Trout Healthy?
Rainbow trout is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids and protein. The skin is especially nutrient dense.
Where to Buy Rainbow Trout?
I’ve seen rainbow trout at all of my local grocers – HEB, Walmart, Central Market, Sprouts, and Whole Foods. You should not encounter much trouble locating it in your area.
How Much Does Rainbow Trout Cost?
That average price listing for rainbow trout where I live (San Antonio, TX) is about $9 per pound. Of course, this will vary by grocer and by region.
How Do I Know When Rainbow Trout is Done?
You will know that your fish is done when it flakes easily when touched with a fork or reaches an internal temperature of 145°, F.
How Do I Prep the Brussels Sprouts?
First, wash the brussels sprouts very well, taking care to remove any visible dirt. I slice my brussels sprouts in half, cut off the tough end, and manually peel away at the layers until they are deconstructed. This may seem labor intensive, but in reality it only took me about five minutes. Easy! You can discard any particularly tough outer pieces as desired.
How to Cook Baked Garlic & Herb Rainbow Trout with Shaved Brussels Sprouts
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 F
- On a half sheet pan, place both ruby red rainbow trout filets skin side down.
- Add the shaved brussels sprouts to the same pan, in the empty spaces surrounding the fish.
- Drizzle both the fish and the brussels sprouts with the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice before seasoning with the salt, pepper, minced garlic, fresh rosemary, and fresh basil.
- Place the pan into the oven and allow the meal to cook for 25 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily to the touch with a fork, or registers an internal reading of 145°, F on an instant read thermometer.
That’s it! Just like that your quick, simple, easy, and flavorful weeknight meal is done and you get your evening back!
As usual, try it out and let me know what you think!
While you’re here, don’t forget to join my Instagram family and tag me when you make this so that I can show off your skills in the kitchen! I’d love to have you around.
Can’t make this right now? Save it to your favorite Pinterest board for later so that you don’t lose it!
Easy one pan meal: Oven baked Garlic & Herb Rainbow Trout with Shaved Brussels Sprouts. Low-Carb, keto-friendly, Whole30, paleo, and gluten free. This recipe is simple, easy, and delicious with minimal cleanup. It’s the perfect meal for seafood lovers and ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Ruby Red Rainbow Trout Filets
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh Basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Prepare Brussels sprouts by washing well, cutting off and discarding the brown ends, slicing them in half, and using your fingers to gently pull apart the layers.
- Place the rainbow trout, skin side down, on a half sheet pan. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts to the same pan, in the spaces surrounding the fish.
- Drizzle both the fish and the Brussels sprouts with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Season the fish and brussels sprouts with the salt, pepper, minced garlic, rosemary, and basil.
- Place into the oven and baked for 25 minutes or until the fish flakes easily to the touch with a fork, or registers an internal reading of 145°F on an instant read thermometer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 576mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g