These keto-friendly, Zoe’s Kitchen inspired Shrimp & Zucchini kebabs make a delicious lunch or dinner option that’s virtually effortless. Fresh dill and lemon juice are the perfect flavor combination and make these kabobs difficult to resist! If you love restaurant inspired meals, check out my copycat Popeye’s Blackened Chicken Tenders or Panda Express inspired Black Pepper Chicken. If you like greek-inspired recipes, try my Greek Lamb Burgers.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
I don’t think I’m alone when I speak about my need to reign in the spending on food delivery apps. Especially this past year when so many of us have been spending much more time indoors and working from home. Ideally this would translate into having more time to make home cooked meals, and to be honest, it truly has. But then there are weeks where we just fall into a rut and order out for lunch like five days straight. Yikes. Not best for health nor for the wallet. There’s no reason why the delivery folks should know you on a first name basis!
If you’re looking for a restaurant quality meal, that’s ten times more delicious and cost effective, try these Zoe’s Kitchen inspired Shrimp and Zucchini Kebabs. They’re seriously easy to make. These kebabs are not over-seasoned – a bit of salt, fresh dill, S&P, and garlic powder enhance the flavors of the shrimp and zucchini. Once grilled (in a pan), the kabobs are finished off with a squeeze of lemon juice for the necessary acidity and brightness. The recipe is so fresh and so perfect. It has quickly become a staple in my keto/low-carb meal plan. This recipe is also Whole30 compliant as is, if that’s your jam.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make these Kebabs?
- Shrimp – Raw shrimp, not precooked. I peel and devein my shrimp, while leaving the tail on. This is just a personal preference. If you prefer to remove the tails then do so.
- Zucchini – the zucchini is cut into wedges and added to the skewer along with the shrimp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dill – I use 2.5 tablespoons of fresh dill to season my shrimp and zucchini. If you’re using dried dill, then reduce the amount to just under 1 tablespoon.
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Lemon Juice
What Tools Do I Need?
- Grill Pan/Skillet – I will say that having a grill is not a requirement for this recipe to turn out well, but I do highly recommend it. You can use a flat skillet if that’s what you have.
- Skewers – bamboo or metal
What Do I Serve with these Zoe’s Kitchen Copycat Shrimp & Zucchini Kebabs?
I love serving these skewers alongside a simple greek salad that includes the following:
- Arugula or Spinach Leaves
- Kalamata Olives
- Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- Italian Seasoning or Dried Herbs
Are these Kebabs Keto-Friendly?
Yes, each kebab has just a little under 4 net carbs.
Constructing and Cooking the Shrimp & Zucchini Kebabs
- I start with two separate bowls – one containing the cleaned, peeled, and deveined shrimp, and the other containing the sliced zucchini wedges. I season the contents of both bowls with extra virgin olive oil, fresh dill, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Next, I grab my skewers/kebob sticks and begin filling each one, alternating between portions of shrimp and portions of zucchini.
- Next, I heat a bit of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a grill plan.
- Finally, I “grill” the skewers for about three minutes per side, or until the shrimp is completely done. I like to finish the kebabs off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
How to Tell When Shrimp is Done
There are some visual clues to look for when determining if your shrimp is done cooking. You want them shrimp to be pink all over, with none of the remaining grey color that is associated with raw shrimp. You’ll also notice that it will begin to curl into a more tight “C” shape.
Alternative Cooking Methods
If you don’t have skewers or a grill plan, listen up, lol. Here are some alternatives:
- Season the shrimp and zucchini and add all ingredients to a baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees F until done. Serve over a simple salad, such as the one listed above.
- Instead of pan grilling, add all ingredients to a wok or cast iron skillet and stir fry until done.
- Cook your skewers using a traditional outdoor grill.
As usual, try it out and let me know what you think. When you make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram so that I can show off how dope you are. While you’re there, join the family. I’d love to see you around.
Can’t make these skewers right now? That’s cool. Save the recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later so that you don’t lose it.
These keto-friendly, Zoe's Kitchen inspired Shrimp & Zucchini kebabs make a delicious lunch or dinner option that's virtually effortless. Fresh dill and lemon juice are the perfect flavor combination and make these kabobs difficult to resist!
- 2 pounds Large Shrimp - cleaned, peeled, deveined
- 2 Large Zucchini Squash - sliced into wedges
- 1.5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2.5 tablespoons Fresh Dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Prep: Peel, clean, and devein the shrimp. Wash the zucchini and cut into small wedges as indicated in the photo.
- Use the olive oil (1 tablespoon) , fresh dill, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to season the shrimp and zucchini. The quantities listed are total amounts to be divided amongst both the shrimp and zucchini. Toss until well coated.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium high heat in a stovetop grill pan or skillet.
- Grill skewers for 3 minutes per side or until shrimp is done.
- Finish kebabs with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Serve over greek salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fu Store Bamboo Skewers, 8 Inch Bamboo Sticks Shish Kabob Skewers,Grill, Appetizer, Fruit, Corn, Chocolate Fountain, Cocktail, Art, Set of 100 Pack,with Free 10 Pairs of Gloves
Granitestone Blue Nonstick 10.5” Grilling Pan, Diamond Infused, Metal Utensil Sear Ridges for Grease Draining, Stay Cool Stainless-Steel Handle Oven & Dishwasher Safe, 100% PFOA Free
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 1070mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 18g